Sometimes you gotta make gooey bacon-y, breadcrumb-covered minnesota mac & cheese.
- 1 1/2 cups coarse fresh bread crumbs
- 2 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, coarsely grated
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Mac & Cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated
- 6 ounces Pepper Jack cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound cavatappi
Toast breadcrumbs under broiler in oven until golden brown. Let cool and mix with melted butter, cheeses, and parsley. Set aside. Chop up 4 ounces of bacon or use lardons, fry until golden and crispy, set aside.
Boil cavatappi per box instructions. Melt butter over medium heat, add flour whisking constantly to create roux, being careful not to burn. Whisk in milk, bring to boil for 3 minutes turn down to simmer. Add remaining ingredients, melting cheese, creating a sauce.
After cavatappi is al dente, mix together sauce and pasta, and flatten into a glass rectangular baking dish. Cover with breadcrumb mixture and bacon. Put in oven for 20 minutes on 400 degrees F.